OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS, USAGE & DATA FOR
"CBN" CARBON BORON NITRIDE TOOL BLANKS
Operating parameters for "CBN" tools can be determined by using the
accompanying table or present speeds, feeds, tool design, etc. as a starting point. Adjustments can be made to improve production as experience is gained.
1. Use a rigid machine that is fully capable
of realizing the full productive potential
of "CBN" Carbon Boron Nitride tools.
2. Do not use "CBN" tools for cutting
easy-to-machine materials. They are
designed to cut hardened steels, cast
irons and tough super-alloys.
3. Keep tool overhang to a minimum.
4. Use negative-rake whenever possible.
5. Choose the largest possible side-cutting
edge angle (SCEA). Avoid SCEA's under
6. Use a generous amount of cutting fluid.
Soluble oil is suitable.
7. Chamfer the exiting edge of the workpiece
to minimize burr formation on high-
8. Stop the cut immediately if chatter is
audible. Chatter indicates that the tool
edge is dull or the setup is not rigid